Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mushroom soup

This week I had a large amount of mushrooms that I got reduced at the end of the day at my local supermarket so I decided to make soup with some of them. Home made soup is good at any time and this mushroom recipie is one of my favorites.
I've never been a slave to recipes and quantities but this is a rough guide to how I made it. I had some Wild Garlic pesto left so used this up in the recipe.
Ingredients
1-2 large onions
Aprox 2 large table spoons of wild garlic pesto (or minced Garlic and some oil)
Aprox 500g button mushroom
500g diced potato  (I used raw but you could used leftovers)
1 1/2 ltrs of water
200mls milk
Veggie stock powder (amount will depend on brand and your taste but don't over do as these can be very salty)
1 table spoon Soy sauce
Black pepper 

Method
Chop the onion and fry them with the pesto until soft, roughly chop the mushrooms and potato add to pan with the soy sauce, and continue to cook for a few minutes. Add the water and stock powder bring to the boil and cook for about 30 minutes. I then use a stick blender to blend the soup but you can allow to cool and blend in a food processor or blender, if the latter return to pan and add the milk. Check the seasoning and season with black pepper to taste, and salt if needed.
Serve hot with nice crusty bread.
As I said I'm not a slave to recipe's you can use onion, carrot and celery as the base for the soup if wanted and you have them. Leave out the milk if you want, the potato will give a creamy texture any way, or substitute with a soya, rice or nut alternative if that's your choice.
The leftovers from this formed the base for a delicious pasta bake later in the week, so don't be afraid to make too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment